The operating principle of ISO 50001 is based on the Plan - Do - Check - Act cycle. By following these steps, you can guarantee your company’s sustainable development and continuous improvement of energy performance. Here are the 4 essential steps for ISO 50001 implementation:
At this stage the necessary resources are allocated, targets and action plan are set and the energy policy is defined.
- Energy policy must:
- be suitable to the type of activity and production capabilities within your company.
- emphasize the commitment to a continuous improvement of energy performance and to ensure the availability of information and resources.
- support purchases of goods and services according to energy performance criteria.
In order to successfully implement the ISO 50001 energy management system, the top management must ensure that energy policy is well documented, communicated and understood by all members.
- Management Responsibility
In order to successfully implement the energy management system, there must be a high level of commitment from the top management to be reflected across the entire organization. Appointment of a manager to coordinate the entire process and to provide the necessary resources is also an essential element in the planning stage.
- Energy review
Identifying the factors that influence the energy use and establishing the way how the energy performance can be increased starting from these factors.
- Energy baseline
Monitoring the progress and the analysis of energy use over a certain period of time.
- Energy performance indicators
It is essential to identify these factors to provide credible information regarding energy use.
- Objectives, targets and action plans
They must be in accordance with the energy policy, revised and periodically updated.
Regarding doing and operating, the following elements should be taken into account:
- Skills, training and awareness
Offering trainings to employees, to ensure that all employees understand how to act and what is their role in achieving the objectives set out, is essential.
Establishment and identification of appropriate communication channels and defining procedures regarding the transmission of information.
Important documents and records are kept, checked and updated according to ISO 50001 specifications.
- Operational control
It is made on key areas within your company. This involves establishing a plan of operation and maintenance, training and implementation of action plan.
- Purchase of goods, services, equipment
In the acquisition process of new facilities, equipment, systems, it is necessary to evaluate the impact this will have on energy performance.
Technical checks and inspections involve:
- checking the equipment
- monitoring and verifying energy use
System monitoring and verification
- Is each person fulfilling its established role?
- Are there any nonconformities?
- What are the corrective actions?
Internal audit of the energy management system
- Does the energy management system comply with the objectives set?
- Is it properly implemented?
- Is there an improvement in the energy performance of the company?
At this stage, the energy management system functionality check and the proposal of a continuous improvement occur. The analysis undertaken by the company’s management is important because it formulates responses to questions such as:
- What are the achievements?
- Have the objectives, in terms of improving energy performance, been achieved?
- Are there any obstacles and problems to be overcome?
- What is planned for the near future?
- Do we have the necessary resources?
Start saving today!